How to be more trouble than you’re worth
The value of impediments
Outside of the cyber space, effective deterrents prevent illicit activity by threatening negative consequences. Any form of lawbreaking or misconduct is punishable, which means that perpetrators are deterred from repeating that activity.
Unfortunately, deterrents against cyber threats do not exist.
This is for several reasons, including the improbability of locating and prosecuting cyber criminals, who often operate globally.
So, deterring threat actors is unrealistic. Instead, organizations can focus on implementing and updating basic security policies. This creates obstacles—real impediments—for cyber criminals. The idea is to make your organization an annoying, less desirable target.
Download the full report and learn how to:
- Get the security basics right
- Increase friction for reduced risk exposure
- Manage your individual assets for more tailored threat detection
- Effectively control open-source intelligence
- Gather and share crucial information about attackers